One of the largest freight transportation companies in the world, with over 50,000 employees, stores and manages data with access in mind for over 175,000 user accounts. Over the past 50 years, the company has solved difficult technical problems for this population with innovative, forward-thinking solutions. With time however, the company had outgrown its systems, affecting how the company manages user access. Historically, its authorization data and decisions were made from roles stored in enterprise systems, databases, or within application code, without a consistent, successful implementation.
- Authorization data stored in many systems
- Data is often times duplicated
- The same type of authorization request from different sources could yield different results
- The company initially had 3,775 roles with 176,000 assigned users and within 3 years
those numbers had grown to 54,000 groups and over 800,000 user assignments.
- Due to the increasing number of different roles, the company had an increasing number of roles to
properly encapsulate the permissions. Managing all those roles proved to be extremely complex.
Fill out the form to access the full case study, including the solution.