55 E. Monroe St.
Chicago, Il. 60603, USA
What is an entitlement management system used for?
An Entitlement Management system is a central repository, where user entitlements are stored, managed, granted or denied, and audited. When fully utilized, an automated system will:
- streamline enterprise access controls
- facilitate improved business decision-making through secure sharing of assets within and beyond an organization
- reduce the threat of data leakages and regulatory misdemeanors
The ever-increasing amount of data being collected and collated – from users, devices, and systems – further increases the need for an automated system.
Typically, in the past, roles were used to manage access control to sensitive data. Role Based Access Control (RBAC) is still used today, but due to its static nature, it’s not advisable for large organizations in strictly regulated industries that have complex authorization requirements. Roles don’t support business policy or run-time authorization, meaning it’s virtually impossible to meet strict regulations as they change. IP can be difficult to protect, PII is less secure in your system especially to insider threats, and export controls are a major headache – when it comes to both meeting and proving compliance.
Entitlement management, which utilizes Attribute Based Access Control (ABAC), on the other hand, supports all of these. It dynamically safeguards assets and enables secure sharing, which is why it has become central to many enterprises IT security strategies.
Enterprises looking for an effective solution should ensure they choose a system that:
- is compatible with both static and dynamic authorization models
- encompasses multiple layers such as data lakes and databases, applications, and API and microservices
- supports on-prem and cloud systems
- includes automated, real-time reporting
- has automated/user-friendly reporting
Benefits of using entitlement management
Entitlement management offers many benefits to the modern enterprise looking to use business critical assets to gain a competitive advantage.